Saturday, June 9, 2012

To mom, on her birthday

This year, more than any other, I feel so very thankful to have my mother in my life.

When she was diagnosed with colon cancer last year, the bottom (temporarily) dropped out of my world.  After my father finished relaying the news to me over the phone, all I could do was sit on the couch and cry for the rest of the evening.  I've always been scared of losing my parents too soon (although, is there ever really a good time?), but in that moment, I was terrified because cancer is a serious thing.  People die.  My mother could die.  I know that I'm an adult and have lived on my own for awhile now...but I am still nowhere near ready to say goodbye to the amazing woman that is my mother.

I've always thought of my mother as this incredible, invincible woman.  Through the years, she was always my Super Woman, ready to come to my aid or defense at the drop of a hat.  She was the woman that worked tirelessly to provide for our family during the years when my father was in college and still managed to make it to all of my high school concerts and piano recitals.  She was the woman who drove me at breakneck speed in a winter storm for nearly 2.5 hours so that I could join my friends on the school bus (whose local departure I had missed) heading to the state Science Olympiad competition.  She is the one person who can always tell when something's wrong in my world, and when I lie and say that "everything's ok," she always calls me out on it.  She's the person who has been by my side at every major turn in my life - whether it was driving me to college, to medical school, or to residency, she's been always been there for every journey.  And though she probably doesn't know this - she's the part of moving that I love the most.  I don't enjoy the packing/unpacking, the sleeping in hotels, or eating crummy food...but I do enjoy traveling with my mother and I am always thankful that she gives up her time (when she might have better things to do) just to spend it with me.  She's the woman who has never let me settle for less than my best and the woman who has never given me less than her best.

I know she'd argue and say that she hasn't always been the best mother,  but trust me when I tell you that's a lie.  Because the best parent isn't someone who never messes up.  It's not the person who always puts a homemade meal on the table, or the one who never yells at you out of sheer frustration - the best kind of parent is the one who is there for you in all circumstances and who loves you in all circumstances, who strives to show you how important you are to them every single day.  And by those standards, I'm pretty sure that I have the best mother in the world.

So happy birthday to you, Mom.  Thanks for being a terrific parent and for always giving me better than I really deserve.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment